top of page

10 Things The IRS Wants You To Know About Identity Theft

Your personal information is out there, and identity thieves are buying it and selling it. What's worse, criminals have a variety of methods to steal your private data. That being said, the IRS wants you to know their methods so you can avoid becoming the victim of a scam artist.

Click here to read the FTC's article "Tax-Related Identity Theft."

10 Things The IRS Wants You To Know About Identity Theft:

1. Identity thieves get your personal information by many different means, including stealing a wallet or purse or accessing information you provide to an unsecured Internet site. They even look for personal information in your trash. They can pose as someone who needs information through a phone call or an e-mail.

2. The IRS does not initiate contact with a taxpayer by e-mail.

3. If you receive an e-mail scam, forward it to the IRS at

4. If you receive a letter from the IRS leading you to believe your identity has been stolen, respond immediately to the name, address or phone number on the IRS notice.

5. Your identity may be stolen if a letter from the IRS indicates more than one tax return was filed for you or the letter states you received wages from an employer you don't know.

6. If your Social Security number is stolen, it may be used by another individual to get a job. That person's employer would report income earned to the IRS using your Social Security number, making it appear that you did not report all of your income on your tax return.

7. If your tax records are not currently affected by identity theft, but you believe you may be at risk due to a lost wallet, questionable credit card activity, or credit report, you need to provide the IRS with proof of your identity. You should submit a copy of your valid government-issued identification - such as a Social Security card, driver's license, or passport - along with a copy of a police report and/or a completed Form 14039, IRS Identity Theft Affidavit.

8. Show your Social Security card to your employer when you start a job or to your financial institution for tax reporting purposes. Do not routinely carry your card or other documents that display your SSN.

9. If you have previously been in contact with the IRS and have not achieved a resolution, please contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit, toll-free at (800) 908-4490. 10. For more information about identity theft - including information about how to report identity theft, phishing and related fraudulent activity - visit the IRS Identity Theft Resource Page, which you can find by typing "Identity Theft" in the search box on the home page.

To learn how to Report Identity Theft to the IRS and Social Security, click here and you will be redirected to eHow's article on this subject.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
  • Facebook Classic
  • Twitter Classic
  • Google Classic
Follow Us
bottom of page