The delay was pushed to give employers adequate time to understand the rules and inform their workforce, and to allow insurers to offer a private sector-based paid leave option.
Employer and covered individuals obligations to the program will now begin on October 1, 2019, however the individual eligibility will not begin until January 1, 2021. A covered individual can be either W-2 employee or 1099 contractor.
The increases in contributions percentages account for the cost to delay the program from it's original start date of July 1, 2019.
Who does PFML apply to?
All businesses with one or more employees are required to comply with PFML, with the exception of self-employed individuals. Self-employed individuals are allowed to opt into PFML.
Employers with 25 or more employees will be required to remit a contribution of 0.75% of eligible payroll. This amount will support both types of leave.
The payroll tax of 0.75% that will fund the PFML program will apply to the first $132,900 of an employee's annual earnings. The allocation of this percentage will be determined annually by the Department of Family and Medical Leave.
Of the total 0.75% payroll tax: 0.62% of payroll deductions will be allocated towards medical leave, 0.13% will be allocated towards family leave contributions.
Family Leave: Up to 100% of the family leave contribution can be deducted from employee wages
Medical Leave: Up to 40% of the medical leave contribution can be deducted from employee wages. Larger employers are responsible for contributing the remaining 60%.
Employers with fewer than 25 employees must remit contributions, but are not responsible for remitting the employer's share.
Employers with 25 or more Employees
Employers with fewer than 25 Employees
What you need to do:
Employer Check List
Determine the size of your workforce
Determine contribution amount for Family and Medical Leave
Provide written notice to all individuals in your workforce + collect a signed acknowledgement from each individual
Post the Paid Family and Medical Leave poster at your workplace
Notify On-Time Payroll with size of your workforce, contribution amount, or, if you have applied for exemption
***If the notice was already provided to the workforce prior to June 17, 2019, an addendum will need to be sent.***
Due to extremely high call volumes, we strongly encourage all clients to email us at email@example.com for the best support and service. Alternatively, you may contact the Department of PFML directly, by using this form.
Any questions, comments, or suggestions are always welcomed by the Department of Family and Medical Leave.